RAIN BARRELS AVAILABLE
What is a Rain Barrel?
- A rain barrel is a collection system that stores rainwater from your roof that would otherwise be diverted to storm drains and streams.
- A rain barrel is relatively simple and inexpensive to construct and can sit conveniently under any residential gutter down spout.
- Rain barrels available from the New River Valley Master Gardeners are made from a 55 gallon drum, a vinyl hose, PVC couplings, a screen to keep debris and insects out, and other assorted hardware.
Rain is Free Water!
In case you are wondering how much water we are talking about, here is the formula:
Length x Width x 0.623 x Inches of Rainfall = Gallons of Rain Water
If you were going to collect rainwater from one side of a house roof that is 50 ft. x 16 ft. and there
has been 1 inch of rainfall:
50 x 16 x 0.623 x 1 = 498.4 gallons of rain water!
Make Your Own Rain Barrel!
The NRV Master Gardener Association holds annual Rain Barrel making work-shops.
The cost to attend a workshop is $65.00, payable in advance and includes:
- a barrel
- all necessary hardware
- step-by-step instructions
- help from Master Gardeners
Dates and times of workshops are advertised and reservations are necessary.
Contact: New River Valley Master Gardeners,
Montgomery County Extension Office
Want to Buy a Painted Rain Barrel?
Rain Barrels with a solid coat of paint are available for $75.00
Rain Barrels painted with decorative designs are sold at the NRV Master Gardener Annual Plant Sale, held on the second Saturday in May at the Montgomery County Government Center in Christiansburg. The Rain Barrels are available until sold out. Prices vary based on the detail of the design, but usually range between $100.00 and $150.00 each.